January 31, 2023
From: Irma F. D. Rogers
To: The MLK-CDC Board & Membership
2023 marks a significant milestone for the Martin Luther King Community Development Corporation. The organization is embarking upon twenty years of Community Service. The MLK-CDC continues to exemplify itself as a very worthwhile organization, with positive partnerships and alliances throughout the city and parish. Several of the annual programs were scaled back slightly, while coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic, new yearly events such as summer tutoring and the Business Entrepreneurship programs continue to be the focus of improving our community with such programs as listed below:
- Crime Statistics reports, monthly to inform the citizenry of our low crime rate for the area’s size and number of people.
- Representation for the community at MPC, City Council and Parish meetings, annual clean-ups were also completed with the Green Oaks students & several community volunteers in the spring & fall; MLK-CDC garnered 1st place for the Spring 2022 cleanup hosted by Shreveport Green during the Great American Clean Up, in terms of volunteers.
- The pandemic continued to rage, yet the organization supplied MLK senior citizens, and others in the city with pandemic kits that included Lysol or Microban sprays, sanitizer, masks, health information, and local emergency numbers to assist with doctor visits.
- Enhanced tutoring projects expanded to include a Special Summer Session- Summer Basics for two elementary schools with phenomenal staffing and overall success.
- Summer camps support included students from several different SPAR facilities, targeting crime prevention with several presentations from local leaders including the Girls Butterfly Camp, Boys Camp and Law & Youth Camp
- Back to school backpacks were still distributed utilizing a drive through format with over 300 backpacks distributed, assisted by loyal volunteers.
- School uniforms are still a primary target for more than 14 years based on grant funds.
- Fall still brings support for community gatherings on educating others – targeting violence and crime prevention. Supporting SPD initiatives for crime prevention such as Policing 360-Crime Classes, & Trunk or Treat activities for over 1,500 children
- Continuing to offer classes to business entrepreneurs free of charge from the organization.
- Thanksgiving outreach 2022 included over 200 turkey baskets with 14 cooked dinners going to the elderly and disabled in three different communities within the city.
- Christmas outreach shopping for the underserved for more than 320 children in need of warm clothing along with several families in need of groceries, etc. Also, partnering with the Hawg Riders motorcycle club, Shriners Abduhl Temple #94 and Abduhl Court #103 to offer toys and gift cards to those students who were listed as homeless and the underserved for Christmas.
Thus, this coming year should be no different in terms of Community Services & Outreach. The public facility continues to house and offer several services which are truly needed to face today’s challenges for our children and senior citizens alike. Therefore, many thanks and gratitude from the entire board and membership to all supporters, volunteers, and partners. I am confident through God’s grace and strength this organization will continue moving forward beyond 2023 HAPPY 20TH ANNIVERSARY – MLK – CDC
Irma D. Rogers